Sunday, March 22, 2015

Comfortable in my own skin



I came across this on Pinterest the other day and it's been stuck in my head. Most of my adult life I was pretty comfortable in my skin. Yeah, I had my little gripes about my body, but nothing I dwelt on. Until a few years ago when I started gaining weight, beyond the baby weight I still carried. When I started my fitness/weight loss journey 9 months ago I just wanted to get back to the post baby size that I had spent 20 years at. Then I got there and was able to go beyond that. I'm actually down to the size I was when I got married, almost 25 years ago now. But I look at my body and still see problems, some the same and some new. I have made this incredible change to my lifestyle and health and I still see things to be unhappy with....and that bothers me. Not because those "imperfections" exist, but because I find myself more focused on them than I like, or than I was before. I feel ungrateful. The Lord has helped me to lose 40 pounds and to get healthier and more fit than I have been since college. I've run three 5Ks so far, and am currently signed up to run a 5K, a 6.5K and 10K in May (not certain I'll be able to run the whole 10, but that's ok). I never would have dreamed of doing that a year ago, or even 10 or 15 years ago. I do exercises and workouts that people much younger than my 48 years struggle with. I'm so grateful for all of that. I KNOW that the Lord helped me get here! So how do I stay focused on gratitude for this miraculous, if aging, body that I have been given, and the positive changes He has helped me to make to it rather than picking it apart? That's what I'm struggling with....and currently obsessed with figuring out

No comments:

Post a Comment